The Twickenham Tribune


Firefighters share their barbecue safety tips after a fire in Richmond Park

London Fire Brigade urges the public to take care when enjoying our open spaces after four fire engines attended a fire at a golf club in Richmond Park on Wednesday. Part of the living grass roof of the building was damaged by the fire, but there were no reports of casualties.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a discarded Fire Enginedisposable BBQ. Fire crews from Wandsworth, New Malden, Fulham and Kingston fire stations attended.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “During this warm weather that we have been having, the ground becomes extremely dry and grass can burn quickly.

"Disposable barbecues can cause fires when smouldering ash and embers are carried by the wind onto areas of dry grass.  

"Disposable barbecues that have been discarded and abandoned can still end up causing a fire as they will continue to retain heat after use – they need to be put right out and cooled before being thrown away. 

“Always make sure barbecues are not left unattended and check barbecues are completely out when you have finished and never leave it to smoulder as they stay hot for a long time.”

Barbecue safety tips:

Never use a BBQ – including disposables – indoors, on flat roofs or on your balcony.

Be careful where you position your BBQ – we suggest on level ground, well away from anything flammable like sheds, fences, trees or tents.

Avoid having barbecues in parks and public spaces.

Don't use petrol, paraffin or any flammable liquids on your BBQ – firelighters are a much safer option.

Carefully supervise children – little ones can all too easily trip and fall, while older children might hurt themselves trying to help.

Be pet-aware – dogs (and some cats!) love to snaffle sausages and can cause accidents getting under your feet.



View our complete archive of back editions dating from 11th November 2016 HERE